8.26.2011

I have friends who do...

Pin It


I have come to learn that I know very little about how to help those who have addictions.
I used to think they were lazy.
I thought they just didn't want to get better. Or change.
I was angry with them for making the same stupid choices everyday.
I didn't understand that it was a disease.
Only this disease is caused by one mindless choice.
One choice that leads to more pain then they knew could be possible.
But everyone knows that drugs are bad.
Everyone know they are addictive and lead to an unhappy life.
I bet we all know someone who has died from drugs.
So why would anyone EVER even mess with it in the first place?

I don't know what its like.
I've never messed with the stuff because it scared me.
I have no idea.
But I now know people who do.

I've seen others reach out to him.
I've seen him take the help and do well. For awhile.
I've seen him fall right back into it.

I labeled him a junkie.
I've written him off as a lost cause.
I don't think he'll change.

I wish I knew how to help.
This is what I've learned in the last 2-3 years.
I can't change him.
Giving him money is like giving him a needle.
Giving him a place to live is only temporary. And very hard.
Trusting him can't be done.
Getting him back on his feet is almost like setting him to fall again.

Is he a lost cause? Can an addict ever get better?
Will he just follow in his parents foot steps?
Can he change?

Well I don't know. I just know that what we've all done to help, hasn't worked.
Yet.
I don't think there is a hero out there who can save him.
I don't think he can save himself.
I think the only way to heal is to be healed by the atonement.
The Savior is the hero here. He already took on his pain, his addiction and his cure.
No one else but the Savior has the tools to fix the broken addict.

So while I'm in no position to judge, even though I do, I hope that this addict finds the Savior.
I hope he discovers a higher road.
I hope he puts his faith in the Lord and not in man.
I hope he wants to change and be healed.
Otherwise, whats the point?

1 comments:

Nicole Westfall said...

if your interested i have some awesome books you might enjoy reading that helped me to understand addiction better they are quick reads and very good