12.12.2009

Holiday Pointers

I love the holidays.
I really enjoy decorating for each Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas.
I like that they are all packed into a nice 3 month package.
I like being with my family and friends during these festive times.
I'm alone for 50% of them, except for this year...I'm without my husband for 100% of them.
I've come up with some ways for me to battle the depression, sadness and loneliness. For those of who don't know (and why should you, I'm not that public with my crazy side) I have suffered from depression, anxiety and all around emotion weakness. I was on Zoloft for about 3 years before I got pregnant was taken off. I have been fine without it, so far. The holidays are really making me take a second look at maybe getting back on.
Anyway.
You all know I'm a member of Weight Watchers and have lost about 50lbs. That alone has given me a real boost of self confidence and self worth. Its sometimes not enough.
So here are a few things I've discovered that really do take the blues away long enough for me to get things done and help me be the mom and wife I NEED to be.
-Exercise a little EVERYDAY. Have a good heavy workout at least 3 times a week. Meaning I run, do cardio or some other workout for at least 30 min and am sweating after about 5 min. from when I start.
-Eat right. Stay within my points (yes, you still have to measure and count even when you're a lifetime-er). Have lots of protein options around you.
-Be grateful for something or for many things everyday. Make a list if you have too. Just be grateful. No matter how crappy life may seem, you have something to be grateful for. If you can't think of anything, give me a call 801-656-7081 and we'll think of something.
-Don't eat your stress, emotions or boredom. Enough said.
I struggle every day with my bad eating habits, lack of motivation to workout and my weakness to control my emotions. Understanding that its okay to have battles is not the same as giving into them and letting them take over your life. I am stronger and I have to win over them. I just have too.
So I hope you have a festive and wonderful holiday season. I hope you remember the reason for the season and let that lift you up out of whatever you're experiencing.
Merry CHRISTmas.

5 comments:

Motorcycle Mamma said...

I love it Sadie...I raised a very smart, intuitive daughter. Now if I can just follow some of your good advice. Upwards and Onwards! You look wonderful!

DKSBrayton said...

I LOVE this. You said so many amazing things that hit me. Your fabulous sweetie!

Momza said...

Sadie!!! I LOVE YOUR GUTS! THANKS SO MUCH FOR THIS!!! You are so right! I needed to read this and remember it!
Hugs to you for all the lonley moments!
You are WONDERFUL!

Unknown said...

yah that was a good read. so you said corey is gone all the time during the holidays? do you mean like the whole month? or just always working ON the holidays? that really stinks though, keep your chin up. you have some great advice in this blog, i liked it a lot. i totally agree, once you lose weight, that doesn't end the battle, you have to eat right or it will get put on just like it did the first time... which is hard for me. i LOVE sweets....

Ian and Beth Leach said...

From one oilfield wife to another, I totally feel your pain. Ian gets home Christmas Eve this year, so we're all pretty stoked. I'm sorry to hear that Corey won't be. I'm sure that you guys will have a good time though.