I, on a rare occasion, bake. I mean get the flour, sugar and eggs out, heat the oven, spray some pans and actually cook. No boxed mixes, straight cooking. On these rare occasions I like to make something different or that I haven't made before. Today was that rare occasion. I made "Banana-Oatmeal Loaf" with some very minor substitutions. Its not like I am smart enough to deviate away from the recipe but sometimes I just don't have what it calls for and I would like to think something "like" what it calls for will work just fine.
Here goes:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour ( I used whole wheat flour.)
2/3 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cups regular oats
1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 large)
1/3 low-fat buttermilk ( I used 1 tablespoon vinegar, put in measuring cup and fill with skim milk to the 1 cup mark, let set for 5 min. whala...buttermilk)
1/4 cup vegetable oil ( I used the healthy omega oil stuff my mom and dad use)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs, beaten
cooking spray (duh)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
(My words now...) Mix flour, and next four ingredients well. Add oatmeal. In another bowl mix everything else. I used a blender. No real reason, I'm just brilliant that way.
Mix flour mixture and banana mix together, well.
Spoon into loaf pans(8x4 inch) and bake for 55 min or until a tooth pick can be inserted and come out clean. I actually only kept mine in for about 48 min. and I tripled the recipe. Go figure. Just check it about minutes before timer goes off.
Its really good and even Corey loved it!!! Now I don't have to feel like the only LDS mom who blogs but doesn't put up recipes. I have my reasons, though.
Bon Appetite!

4 comments:
Looks like a pretty yummy recipe to start with!
Hey Sadie! Thats my girl! I think I'll try it myself. The loaves look beautiful! I just got a smoothie recipe that is supposed to kick your appetite's butt. It is: 1 c. organic fat free cottage cheese (Horizen brand); 2 c low fat buttermilk, 1/2 ripe avacado, 1 TB organic agave nectar (Madhava) and 4 cubes of ice or 1/2 c crushed. Now, I am not sure what agave is but think it is sweetner. It is worth trying. 145 calories, 2 grams fat, 2 fiber.
Welcome to the Mormon mama blogger crowd! Haha. That's so funny. You are so domestic!!!!
Oh girl!!!
You are such a good mom and wife. I'm going to have to stop reading your blog because it's making me want to start popping out babies and stuff. Bleh, I hate being jealous. : )
Love you,
Beth
Post a Comment